Advanced Training Program Purpose and information:
The Master Gardener Advanced Training: Entomology program is designed to provide advanced training and resources whereby Master Gardeners can obtain specialization in areas that support or expand designated educational programs of Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Services.
To become a certified Master Gardener Advanced Training: Entomology, Master Gardeners are required to attend the Master Gardener Advanced Training: Entomology to fulfill training requirements and subsequently meet service requirements described below. This certification does not empower the individual with supervisory or administrative authority within her/his local county programs.
Master Gardener Advanced Training: Entomology will include experts speaking on insect identification, insect diversity, integrated pest management (IPM), pesticide safety, insects in the garden and landscape, butterfly gardening, and digital photography for insect identification. Participants will have the opportunity to make or improve their own collection during the course.
To be eligible for the Master Gardener Advanced Training: Entomology, an individual must possess an up-to-date Master Gardener certification, or be an employee of the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service. Master Gardener applicants must be approved by their local County Extension Agent.
Service requirements include, but are not limited to:
• Attending Entomology advanced training
• Volunteering 20 hours above and beyond the county’s current volunteer obligation. Texas A&M AgriLife Extension will provide several service options.
• Serving as a local Master Gardener Entomology Advanced Training resource in the Extension program for a minimum of one year.
• Assisting in educating Master Gardeners, interns, and the public in entomology
• Increasing client awareness of entomology through presentations, training, and mass media efforts (i.e. radio, newspaper, social media, television, and newsletters)
• Submitting a completed Entomology Volunteer Report Form as directed
• Optional: Submit TMGA reimbursement paperwork
Advanced Training recognition and certification:
Upon completion of the Master Gardener Advanced Training: Entomology service requirements, the Master Gardener will be awarded a Master Gardener Advanced Training certificate and lapel pin.
Resources available to the Master Gardener Advanced Training: Entomology:
• Entomology advanced training and networking with presenters
• Educational materials on entomology
• Direct access to Texas A&M AgriLife Extension entomology experts