Advanced Training Program Purpose and information:
The Master Gardener Advanced Training: Fruit and Nut Trees program is designed to provide advanced training and resources whereby Master Gardeners can obtain specialization in areas that support or expand designated educational programs of Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Services.
To become a certified Master Gardener Advanced Training: Fruit and Nut Trees, Master Gardeners are required to attend the Master Gardener Advanced Training: Fruit and Nut Trees to fulfill training requirements and subsequently meet service requirements described below. This certification does not empower the individual with supervisory or administrative authority within her/his local county programs.
Master Gardener Advanced Training: Fruit and Nut Trees (Southern Texas) training will be comprised of high-quality training including the culture varieties disease and insect problems, training and pruning for stone fruits, berries, grapes, pecans, pome fruits, figs, pomegranates, and citrus. Basic propagation will also be taught.
To be eligible for the Master Gardener Advanced Training: Fruit and Nut Trees, an individual must possess an up-to-date Master Gardener certification, or be an employee of the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service. Master Gardener applicants must be approved by their local County Extension Agent.
Position Description and Service Requirements:
Service requirements include, but are not limited to:
• Attending the Fruit and Nut Trees advanced training
• Volunteering 20 hours above and beyond the county’s current volunteer obligation.
• Serving as a local Master Gardener Fruit and Nut Trees Advanced Training resource in the Extension program
• Assisting in educating Master Gardeners, interns, and the public in Fruit and Nut Trees
• Increasing client awareness of fruit and nut trees through presentations, training, and mass media efforts (i.e. radio, newspaper, social media, television, and newsletters)
• Submitting a completed Fruit and Nut Trees Advanced Training Volunteer Report Form as directed
• Optional: Submit TMGA reimbursement paperwork
Advanced Training recognition and certification:
Upon completion of the Master Gardener Advanced Training: Fruit and Nut Trees service requirements, the Master Gardener will be awarded a Master Gardener Advanced Training certificate and lapel pin.
Resources available to the Master Gardener Advanced Training: Fruit and Nut Trees
• Fruit and Nut Trees advanced training and networking with presenters
• Educational materials on Fruit and Nut Trees
• Direct access to the Texas A&M Extension Services Program Specialists